Friday, January 2, 2015

Jeopardy Time!

I'll take "The #1 Question I've Been Asked Thus Far" for $500, Alex.

The answer is... "61 pounds."

What is "How much weight have I lost?"

Correct!

So, there you have it. Since I started this whole thing, I've lost more than sixty pounds. Twenty-three of those were before the surgery, the remaining thirty-nine have been after. That means I've lost more than a pound a day. The doctor is happy with the progress.

Talked with her about eating meat before it was time, and she wasn't super upset. And, she was able to give me some better reasoning as to why they have it set up the way they do. The first three weeks are when the pouch/new stomach is really healing. That's where the danger of bursting or damaging the sutures lies. Starting Week 4, I'm supposed to transition back to normal foods, but they want it to be gradual: no going from oatmeal straight to steak. Which makes sense. So, the fact that I ate ground beef early wasn't a huge deal from a safety standpoint. She still wants me to lay off the red meat this weekend, though. So, I said I could do that. She also is having me to eat with a stopwatch running, to make sure I do things slowly enough and spread-out enough. Tried it for lunch today, and it worked nicely: less discomfort and gas pains than usual. Not having pain or discomfort is more important than I realized: apparently, if I eat something too fast, which makes things hurt, it causes the brain to subconsciously adopt changes in tastes and preferences to avoid the food. E.G.: if I keep eating pizza to the point it makes me hurt, I will stop liking pizza. Makes sense when you think about it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know I finally have a number on the weight loss thus far. With things going like this, I might just disappear, lol.

Hayek

No comments:

Post a Comment